The Legal Department provides legal services to the City of Topeka. Attorneys in the department are divided into three sections.
- Research public policy issues
- Advise the governing body, City employees, and boards and commissions
- Draft advisory opinions, ordinances, resolutions, contracts, deeds, leases and other legal documents
Civil Litigation Section
- Process claims against the City
- Represent the City administrative proceedings in civil litigation and appeals
- Advise on risk management issues to prevent potential liability
Criminal Prosecution Section
- Prosecute alleged violations of City Ordinances in the Municipal Court and appeals in the district and appellate courts
The attorneys in the Legal Department represent the City of Topeka. No legal advice can be provided to invidual citizens or businesses entities.