Special Events City Clerk - Home | Departments

Welcome to the City of Topeka! Thank you for your interest in holding a special event in the Capitol of Kansas. The City of Topeka is proud to host numerous events every year. Our goal is to assist event organizers in planning safe and successful events that have minimal impact on the communities surrounding the event. Keep in mind, each special event planned is important to the City of Topeka, whether it’s a small neighborhood block party or a large parade.

The Special Event Application has been designed to help you identify the services, equipment and activities needed early in the planning stages. We hope by doing so, we will minimize last minute surprises for all parties during your upcoming event. Please take a few minutes to read through the application thoroughly.

If your event location is the State Capitol area, please contact the Capitol Police at 785-296-3420.

Some points to consider when filling out the application:
  • How Do I Know if I Need a “Special Event Permit”?
    You will need a Special Event Permit if you are planning an organized activity involving the use of, or having an impact on, public property, facilities, public parks, sidewalks, or street areas. (e.g. neighborhood block parties, parades, running events)

  • What day and time should my Special Event be scheduled?
    The City of Topeka suggests the best possible days and times be utilized to minimize the impact on public safety, traffic, and surrounding neighborhoods. For example, when planning an event downtown, please consider scheduling the event on a weekend or during non-business hours in the evening.

  • Do I have a route?
    The route must be clear to indicate the event site location, stage/entertainment areas, food, game and sales booths, parking areas, restroom facilities and street closures with a list of specific street names and locations of barricades. A map description must show the location of the barricaded portion of the City right-of-way and any cross streets that could be affected with the street closure. Please see example of maps below.


  • Are barricades needed?
    The City of Topeka does not provide the barricades needed for an event. Below is a list of companies that can provide you with more information on barricade rentals. You are to ensure accessibility for the Topeka Fire and Police Departments and the safety of all attendees when barricading the event area. You also agree to assign a person from your organization to the barricaded area to assure proper closure. The person assigned to this barricade is to remain at the barricade for the duration of the street closure. You agree to notify all businesses which are located on the streets of your event about the event times and dates.

    • If your event is a Neighborhood Block Party, Type III barricades are required.
    • If your event is a large parade, Type III barricades or water barricades will be required. Please call the Topeka Police Department at 785-368-9015 for further information.

    • Barricade Rental Information
    • Mather Flare 785-478-3780
    • C-Hawkk 785-542-1800

  • Do I need a noise exception resolution?
    Noise exceptions are sponsored by your City Councilmember and approved at a regularly scheduled Council meeting which are usually the first three Tuesdays of each month. Please take the council meeting schedule into consideration when submitting your Special Event application to allow time for processing. The following information is needed for a noise exception resolution:

    • Name, Address and Phone Number for Contact Information
    • Location of the event
    • Date(s) and Time(s) of event
    • Type of amplified noise (Examples: Live Band, Speaker, DJ)

  • Will alcohol be served at the event?
    If alcohol will be sold as part of a Special Event in the City Right-Of-Way, an alcohol resolution approved by the Council is required. The resolution is sponsored by your City Councilmember and approved at a regularly scheduled Council meeting. Please take the council meeting schedule and the Kansas Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control’s application timelines into consideration when submitting your Special Event application to allow time for processing.

  • Which is required for my event, a Certificate of Liability Insurance or a Hold Harmless Agreement?
    A Hold Harmless Agreement may be used in lieu of a Certificate of Liability Insurance for a block party exclusively serving food in the City right-of-way.

    A Certificate of Liability Insurance is needed for all events with the exception of block parties listing the City of Topeka as an additional insured in the amount of $500,000.

Special Event applications must be completed in full and submitted to the City Clerk’s office at least 30 days prior to your event, and no more than one (1) year in advance of the event date. Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.

Special Event Applications may be mailed, faxed or emailed to the City Clerk’s office. Please submit the application, map/route description, $25 fee and Certificate of Public Liability Insurance or Hold Harmless Agreement (exclusively for the serving of food at a neighborhood block party).

City Clerk’s Office
215 SE 7th Street, Room 166
Topeka, Kansas 66603
Fax Number: 785-368-3943
Email: cclerk@topeka.org

Once you have completed and submitted your application, City staff will review your application. Once this review is complete, the City Clerk’s office will issue the Special Event Permit for your event. If you have any questions during the application process, please contact the City Clerk at 785-368-3940 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Please ensure approval of your Special Event application by the City before you announce your activity. Acceptance of the application by the City is neither a guarantee of the date or location nor an automatic approval of your event.

Below is a list of City Representatives available for questions or concerns about your event.
Matt Danielson Topeka Police Department 368-1589 mdanielson@topeka.org
Michelle Conway Topeka Fire Department 368-4144 mconway@topeka.org
Kent Pelton Engineering Division –traffic controls 368-3044 kpelton@topeka.org
Ron Raines Street Maintenance Division 368-3803 rraines@topeka.org
Mary Feighny City Attorney’s Office 368-3883 mfeighny@topeka.org
Jennifer Goodrich City Clerk’s Office 368-3940 cclerk@topeka.org
To Help in Identifying Routes, These Websites Can be Helpful
© City of Topeka | 785-368-3111