On December 11, 2012, the Topeka City Council approved a $4.9 million budget for improvements to South Kansas Ave between 6th and 10th Streets.
The project will reconstruct Kansas Avenue to a three-lane section, with a northbound, southbound, and center turn lane. The concrete curb and gutter, sidewalks, and medians will be replaced.
The project will be divided into two construction years, with the east half of Kansas Ave between 6th & 10th Street being replaced in 2014, and west half of being replaced in 2015. Two-way traffic will be maintained on Kansas Ave through construction, with the exception of temporary overnight closings for utility service connections.
Kansas Avenue Project Phase I Schedule
Phase I – 2014 – East side of Kansas Avenue from 6th to 10th Streets
November 2014 – March 2015
- Demolition: Mid-May
- Underground Utilities: Mid-May to Mid-August
- Surface Pavement & Sidewalks: Mid-July to Mid-November
- Street Lighting, Power & Fiber: Mid-June to Mid-November
April 2015 – November 2015
- Provide temporary pavement and traffic control as needed to winterize project
- April 2015 – November 2015
- Construct west half of Kansas Ave from 6th to 10th Ave'
- Provide two-way traffic in new northbound lanes (east half of Kansas Ave)
Public Infrastructure Improvements:
More than $2 million in private investment has also been raised for amenities, pocket parks, and aesthetics.
- $3,759,000 – General Obligation bonds
- $1,050,000 – Citywide Half-Cent Sales Tax funds
- $158,000 – Utility Revenue bonds